7.22.2010

A Sunken Ship in Mobile Form



These nautical asymetrical earrings were made yesterday by taking some pieces from broken vintage brooches and earrings and combining them with various natural and man-made beads. The toughest part? Ah, what we all seek: Balance.

It definitely took some trial and error to hang the beads just so. I've decided to keep these earrings for myself instead of posting them up for sale. They can't be replicated without more vintage brooches to take apart, and I would hate to say goodbye to the only pair. Little whales, anchors, steering wheels--these charms exist somewhere in a beading store, but that would entail more time than I have to go look for them, especially considering all the jewelry I have to work on at the moment.

A naming of materials in this pair (in case anyone wanted to create a similar pair of earrings themselves, or was simply curious):

Gold plated French hooks and wire
Copper plated metal
Clear plastic faceted beads
Glass flower bead
Aqua terra jasper rectangular bead
Blue Agate stones
Cat eye beads of various colors
Metal bead

Although this pair is not for sale, I have visions of a collection of mobile earrings dancing in my head. A trend of mobile earrings would be amazing--not only because they are so fun to wear, but also because they are a ton of fun to make. Coming soon (perhaps?)...

No comments:

Post a Comment